Monday, August 6, 2007

Denver - Day 4

Don't think Jay could have taken another day of driving, so our stay in Denver was well planned. Besides we were looking forward to spending some time with Charlie or as he has dubbed himself, the "Inappropriate Uncle" of our future children. That is written with the uttmost affection : )

Our intention was to explore Denver and maybe hop on the bikes to stretch the legs out a bit, but Denver had other plans for us. It started out fine. A little breakfast, a little exploring of Charlies new house, very nice.

My obsessive complusive side was itching. The car packed to the brim was screaming for a reorg and nothing could stop me. Parked in front of the house, I pulled every last thing out of the Saabaru, no shame. Jay had found purpose in repostioning the bike racks as they were "slipping", an occurence that is quickly becoming the bain of this trip for him. I think he might be a little obsessive too, we really are meant for each other : )

While standing amongst our boxes of kitchen utensils and bags of clothes, trying to figure out where to begin and Jay with his nose in bike rack parts, I heard some noise down the street. I looked towards the commotion and noticed a blue car stopped next to a parked Subaru at the end of the block. The driver was watching his partner, who's legs were dangling out the back, driver's side window. With something white in hand he jumped back into the blue car. They then creeped toward me, the driver and I locked eyes, almost showdown style. I was still trying to figure out what was going on. After this exchange, they quickly sped away. I glanced back up to the Subaru and saw shattered glass on the ground. Oh, with me watching less than 50 feet away and in broad daylight, they just stole that car's stereo. Brazen bandits. Yuck! I looked back at my whole life spread out on the street around me and got a chill. We're not in Utah any more Toto. The really unfortunate part is that 10 minutes later I found out that the violated Subaru belonged to our generous host Charlie. A pang of guilt. Jay momentarily fantasized about vigilante justice, but I made it very clear, that was to stay in the fantasy world.

A police report was filed, insurance called, but what to do with our car, currently holding all of our worldly posessions? It was a sitting duck and we were not about to test fate. After my very effiecent repack (I felt appeased) we promptly found the most expensive hotel in town and utilized their parking service. Safety was key and for $26 bucks we got 24 hour surveillance, indoor parking facility, and a guardian in valet service clothes.

That dealt with we tried to salvage the day by taking a stroll down Denver's 16th Street mall. A walking street in the middle of town. Downtown Denver seemed like a relative ghost town, not many people out and about, but the walk was pleasant none the less. A slight drizzle but nothing we couldn't handle. Bike ride no longer in the cards we opted for a late lunch and a mini pub crawl with Charlie as our guide. Got to see the Coors stadium, a massive structure. Then headed home for laundry, dinner and prepare for another day. We are Boulder bound with biking on the menu!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pics! Awesome road trip, miss ya!

April Hughes

Anonymous said...

Wow - that Mushroom house is on the street above my house. How funny. I am glad you enjoyed Boulder - it is one awesome town.

I really am enjoying your journey.

Leishia

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you might be a
great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and may come back from now on.
I want to encourage one to continue your great work, have a nice morning!



Also visit my homepage - finance; http://cheathamster52.unblog.fr,